Friend of the Court (FOC) in Michigan
The Friend of the Court (FOC) plays a crucial role in Michigan family law cases, particularly for issues related to child custody, parenting time, and child support. The FOC is part of the circuit court’s family division located within various counties in the State of Michigan.
This page provides information on the Friend of The Court, specifically, issues the court handles, services it provides, and how the FOC can assist with your family law case.
Function and Duties of The FOC
As discussed, the FOC handles a variety of issues related to family law, divorce, and custody. These issues include but are not limited to the following:
– Conducting investigations and making reports and recommendations concerning child custody
– Investigating and reporting on issues related to child support
– Investigating and reporting on issues related to parenting time
– Provides legal documents concerning family law issues; thus, essentially acting as a legal resource in the absence of an attorney
– Offers mediation when both parents agree to the process. Mediation may be used as an alternative method of settling disagreements about custody and parenting time
– Provides enforcement services for custody, parenting time and support orders.
– Helps parents settle disagreements and legal disputes regarding custody, parenting time, etc.
The FOC’s Role in Family Law Cases
The FOC is also a great resource if you don’t have an attorney. This is a great resource because it provides participants with important forms, motions, responses, orders and certain legal assistance. With that said, using the Friend of the Court in Michigan is no substitute for professional legal advice from an experienced family law attorney.
In a Michigan, family law cases, the parties may opt out of use of the Friend of the Court or may decide to close a case file that is already open with the FOC already involved in the process. If the parties opt out of use, then the parties are then fully responsible for the administration and enforcement of family court orders.
Friend of the Court Locations
There are several FOC locations throughout the State of Michigan. These courts are specific to various counties throughout the State. Here’s a list of these court’s below with their address, website, and driving directions.
Macomb County Friend of the Court
Washtenaw County Friend of the Court
Livingston County Friend of the Court