John P. Kelly
Senior Partner & Attorney
Achievements and Awards
Individual Practice Areas
- Trust Administration
- Trust Litigation
- Will Contests
As a CPA and an attorney I have unique experience in handling legal issues involving wills, trusts, real estate, and elder law. My experience with tax law enables me to work in areas that most find too complex. I handle civil and probate matters primarily in Wayne, Oakland, and Washtenaw Counties but I do have cases in other Courts.
I draft contracts, handle business buy/sells, enjoy estate planning and trust work as well as probate litigation issues involving will contests and trust questions. I handle civil cases involving real estate and business issues. I am a commercial arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association handling cases in the commercial/construction areas. I am a licensed residential builder.
Examples of legal matters I have handled include:
- Will Contest against a caregiver who coerced the decedent to give them all their inheritance;
- Removal of a trustee who invaded trust assets for their adult child who had an addiction problem;
- Enforcement of a minor child’s claim against a parent’s estate; the child was unlawfully removed due to a nasty divorce
- An estate’s wrongful death claim for murder under the Michigan Slayer Rule; Successfully sued an Estate due to incapacity of decedent;
- Defended Trustee on claims of breach of fiduciary duties;
- Removal of a trustee for stealing assets
- Won wrongful death claim against estate in murder/suicide case;
- Negotiated real estate sale of large tract of vacant land to developer for construction of condominiums;
- Negotiated contract for construction of custom home and for renovation of bar/restaurant establishment;
- Negotiated sale of family-owned business;
- Negotiated commercial real estate leases for international fitness facility;
- Facilitated Medicaid approval for family with parent in skilled nursing facility;
- Failed short sale cases against realtors;
- Secured guardianship and conservatorship of incapacitated parent;
- Won court approval for protective order in elder law case.
I enjoy the practice of law and working with my wife, my daughter and my son who are lawyers in the firm that my wife and I started over 25 years ago. We emphasize regular contact with our clients who we value. We strive to secure clients for life –not for just a single legal matter. I also enjoy remodeling homes, fly fishing, golf, mountain biking, scuba, snow boarding and traveling.